School History

Facts about Oak Grove School and Community

Source: The Birmingham News, April 21, 1960 and Oct. 29, 1969

  • The first school in the Oak Grove community was established in 1867, just 2 years after the end of the civil war.
  • It met in a log building that was formerly used as a place for slaves to attend church.
  • The first school was staffed by one man, James K. Polk Laird (a great-great-great-grandfather of some of the current students). Mr. Polk was only 19 years old when he taught the students and was paid $20 per month.
  • The most emphasized topic of instruction in the first school was spelling.
  • The first school term lasted only 2 months.
  • The school building was converted into the Ezra Post Office in 1875. The area was originally known as Ezra.
  • The school moved to a vacant house that stood in a field behind the present-day parsonage of Oak Grove Baptist Church.
  • William H. Batson was teaching at the school in 1881, the same year that Oak Grove First Baptist Church was organized and built.
  • Mr. Batson is credited with naming the church after being inspired by the large grove of oaks in the area. The community has been known as Oak Grove ever since.
  • In 1885, the Mud Creek Baptist Association established a literary school for the purpose of educating children and ministers in the community.
  • The school then met in the first building erected at Oak Grove First Baptist until a two story building was built at the site of the current Masonic Lodge.
  • In 1916, a six room wooden building for the school was built at the site of Memorial Park on Lock 17 Rd. Its reported cost was $3,000 for the building and $3,600 for equipment. The school saw numerous additions and housed grades 1-12.
  • The first graduating class was 1919.
  • The school was accredited in 1923.
  • The first yearbook was published in 1952.
  • A new brick building for grades 7-12 was constructed in 1955 on Lock 17 Road at a cost of $342,000. It had 12 classrooms, an industrial arts dept., home economics dept., library, science lab, choral and band rooms, auditorium/gymnasium, and lunchroom. Additions were made to the building in 1969, 1975, 1988, and 1994. The elementary school continued to meet in the older wooden structure until 1969.
  • An F-5 tornado destroyed the school on April 8, 1998.
  • Students in grades 7-12 were housed at Gilmore Bell High School in Hueytown during the 2 years of constructing the new school. Students in grades K-6 were in trailers on the McAdory High Campus for 2 years.
  • The school moved to the present location in August of 2000 and the elementary and high schools officially became two separate schools. The cost for this building was approximately $17 million.
  • The current Alma Mater was written in 1963 by Rev. Samuel Y. Bonham, band director at the time. He was assisted by Miriam Stewart who was the choral teacher.
  • Oak Grove won the Football State Championship in 1983.
  • Oak Grove’s first state champion in wrestling was David Hill in 1993 at 145 lbs. There have been 28 Championships won by 18 State Champion wrestlers at OGHS.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.